City Art Boxes
The City has over 150 electrical boxes painted by local artists. The next time you're out and about, take a second to appreciate the beauty around you, as well as see some of our local talent brought to life! View them all on Google Maps here.
The City Art Project has currently assigned all locations. To be placed on the waiting list, please submit the City Art Waiting List Form.
Once you've signed the agreement, please email City Art your artwork or you can fax it to 409-880-3712. You can also mail it to or drop it off at:
801 Main Street
Beaumont, TX 77701.
Once the agreement is signed by both parties and the artwork is approved then you will be able to proceed with painting the box. You will be responsible for cleaning the box and then applying an oil-based primer prior to any artwork. This is necessary to assure that everything adheres properly to the aluminum box. Once the oil-based primer is in place you may use acrylic or any other paint that you would like to create the art.
The City of Beaumont has undertaken a beautification project to paint traffic control boxes. In order to participate in this program you must sign and return a Traffic Box Painting Agreement (PDF) along with the artwork that you plan to paint on the box.
- The artwork does not have to be in color to be approved, it may simply be sketches, but it does need to contain all of the images and text that you plan to paint on the box.
- Nothing should be painted on the box that was not approved by the City.
- Art and text should avoid religious, political, and sexual themes. It should not advertise for any business/organization whether for-profit or non-profit.
- No trademarked or copyrighted images or text are allowed.
- No memorials are allowed on the boxes.
- Please be aware that if content is painted that was not approved, you may be asked to remove or modify it.
- If a box is painted that was not assigned to that artist, it will be primed over so that the assigned artist can paint it.
Access Google Maps to view all of the boxes color coded as available (green), assigned (blue), in progress (yellow), and completed (red).
Many boxes are available throughout the City. The above Art Box Locations link will bring you to a map that shows all of the completed art box locations.
If you have questions regarding this project, please email City Art or you can call 409-880-3752.