New Trials

If you are found guilty, you may make an oral or written motion to the court for a new trial. The motion must be made within five days after a judgment of guilt has been rendered against you. The judge may grant a new trial if the judge is persuaded that justice has not been done in the trial of your case.

Only one new trial may be granted for each offense.


If you are found guilty and are not satisfied with the judgment of the court, you have the right to appeal your case.

To appeal, unless you are in a court of record, you must file an appeal bond with the municipal court within 10 days of the judgment if you appeared in open court.

If you have entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere before your scheduled court appearance date, waived your right to a jury trial, and have requested in writing the amount of fine and appeal bond, you have 31 days from the time you received a notice from the court sent to you by certified mail to pay the fine or file an appeal bond with the municipal court.