New Business Requirements

Are you planning to start a business in the City of Beaumont? If so, the following checklist is a convenient tool that outlines some of the most important steps that are required. Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and depending on your situation, other requirements may apply.

Representatives from the City's Building Codes and Planning and Zoning Divisions are available to assist you, so please call or come in to discuss your plans with a City staff member. For those who are already familiar with the process, the checklist is just a great way to make sure you've covered all the bases.

Email the Planning and Zoning Department to check your zoning.

New Business Requirements Checklist

Download a printable version of the New Business Requirements Checklist (PDF).

  1. Have you verified the address where you plan to set up your new business?
  2. Have you confirmed that the zoning and parking on the site are suitable for your business?
  3. If you are located in the Central Business District (CBD), have you checked to see if special zoning requirements apply for renovations?
  4. If you are planning to build or make renovations to an existing building, have you checked with Building Codes concerning permit requirements?
    • View the Planning page for more information.
    • Building permits can be obtained in the Building Codes office on the 2nd floor of City Hall. Commercial building permits can only be issued to bonded contractors, so make sure your contractor is properly bonded and registered with the City of Beaumont. The following steps are typically handled by your contractor:
      1. Submit building renovation plans to the Building Codes office at City Hall. City staff will review the plans and based on code requirements, will either approve them or request that you make some changes. Staff will issue a building permit once all building code and zoning requirements have been met.
      2. Acquire plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and gas permits if the building or renovation plans will require alterations of these systems. These permits can be obtained at the Permits office on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
  5. Have you applied for a sign permit?
    • You must have a sign permit before you can erect any signs at your address. A sign permit can be obtained at the Permits office on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
  6. Has your contractor requested all of the required inspections throughout the construction process?
    • Inspections are conducted by the city over the course of construction and a final inspection is required once building renovations are completed. Your contractor is responsible for ensuring that all inspections are requested in the proper sequence. Your contractor must request inspections in advance.
  7. Have you applied for a Certificate of Occupancy?
    • A new building shall not be occupied and a change in occupancy of a building or part of a building shall not be made until after the Building official has issued a Certificate of Occupancy (CO). A CO shall be required on all name changes for electrical service and all new applications for commercial electrical service. An application for a Certificate of Occupancy may be acquired for a $77 fee at One-Stop Permitting, City Hall, 801 Main Street.

Required information for the application:

  • Zoning Type
  • Business Name
  • Business Address
  • Owner's Name
  • Proposed Use
  • Business Phone Number
  • Prior Business Name
  • Type of Construction
  • Occupancy Group
  • Occupant Load

Once the CO application has been submitted, a request for the Certificate of Occupancy inspections can be made as follows:

  • One Stop Permitting
  • Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Planning - Phone: 409-880-3100
  • Fire Department - Phone: 409-880-3905
  • Health Department - Phone: 409-832-3764

Please note: You may apply for the CO at any time during the permitting process but the certificate cannot be issued until all inspections for any other permits have been completed. Applications can be obtained at the Permits office on the 2nd floor of city hall. Normally this application and request for inspection are handled by the tenant or business owner.